PCI is an abbreviation for Payment Card Industry. The PCI DSS (Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard) is a security initiative created to offer service providers and merchants a unified approach towards safeguarding credit card holder information for all types of credit cards, preventing credit card fraud, cracking and various other security threats and vulnerabilities.
PCI Compliance Requirements
The PCI DSS has 12 general requirements, organized in 6 groups, also known as control objectives. The goal of these objectives is to:
- Build and Maintain a Secure Network;
- Protect Cardholder Data;
- Maintain a Vulnerability Management Program;
- Implement Strong Access Control Measures;
- Regularly Monitor and Test Networks;
- Maintain an Information Security Policy;
You can download the complete PCI DSS documentation, which includes a thorough description of the PCI compliance requirements, from this URL.